About the “Windows Update error 0x80070002” errorThe following information on this error has been compiled by Coopoint Technologies, based on the information gathered and reported by our global network of engineers, developers, and technicians or partner organizations.
Description and SymptomsWhile you are updating Windows, it is possible to receive the error 0x80070002. This error code may vary from different Windows versions. In Windows XP, you will see the error code 0x80070002. While in Windows 10/8/7, you will see the error code 80070002. This is an initialization error that occurs after files have been downloaded, and extracted to the computer. But don’t worry! It’s one of the common error codes in Windows.
Causes of this ErrorThe error 0x80070002 is usually caused either by:
- Incorrect Date and Time of the system
- Incomplete Windows Update Service
- Corrupt System Files
Fixing “0x80070002” on WindowsTry each of these methods one after the other, and see which helps you fix the issue.
Fix #1: Check date and time settings
- Click Control Panel, open Date and Time.
- Press on Change date and time and make corrections if necessary.
- Configure your time zone before pressing OK.
- Press on Internet Time tab before selecting Change Settings. Check Synchronize with an Internet time server before choosing the Time Server from the list presented.
- Press Update Now, press OK twice to complete the configuration and close all open windows.
- Restart your computer.
Fix #2: Configure the Windows Update service to start automatically
- Press the Windows Logo key + R to open a Run.
- Type services.msc into the Run dialog and press Enter to launch the Services Manager.
- Scroll down the list of services, locate the Windows Update service and double-click on it to open its Properties.
- Open the dropdown menu in front of Startup type: and click on Automatic to select it.
- Click on Apply, and click on OK.
- Close the Services Manager. Restart the computer.
Fix #3: Remove Windows update files
- Click Start button and select Control Panel. Type Administrative Tools in the search box and press Enter.
- Find and double-click Service on the pop-up windows. If you are asked to provide administrator password or confirmation, type password and give confirmation.
- Click the tab Name to sort items alphabetically. Right-click it and select Stop.
- Open My Computer and double-click drive C where operating system is installed.
- Open Windows folder and double-click SoftwareDistribution folder to open it.
- Open the DataStore folder and delete all files and folders in this folder. Then back to the SoftwareDistribution folder and double click Download folder to delete everything in it.
- Restart Windows Update service.
Fix #4: Run Windows Update TroubleshooterAfter Check Above Basic solutions, Windows Update still fails to install, then run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and let windows to Scan and fix the problem itself. You Can run Windows Update Troubleshooter from Windows Settings -> Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
Download and install the Coopoint Error Fixer, fix 0x80070002 error with 1-click
For Win10 / Win8 / Win7 / WinXP (32/64 bit OS)