About the “Windows Update error 0x80070057” errorThe following information on this error has been compiled by Coopoint Technologies, based on the information gathered and reported by our global network of engineers, developers, and technicians or partner organizations.
Description and SymptomsThe error code 0x80070057 can be seen in many scenarios related to Windows. For example, a lot of users encounter this error when they are trying to make a clean installation of Window 7 or just install system updates. In addition, some users come across the error when using Outlook or Office.
Windows Update Windows could not search for new updates An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer. Error(s) found: Code 0x80070057 Windows Update encountered an unknown error. Get help with this error Most recent check for updates: 05/11/2018 at 10:51 PM Updates were installed: 01/04/2018 at 11:07 AM. View update history You receive updates: For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update Get updates for other Microsoft products. Find out more
Causes of this ErrorThere are several reasons why you can get this specific error code on your screen. Some of them have been specified underneath:
- You are trying to back up your files, and there is a corruption.
- You are trying to install a Windows operating system and the System Reserved Partition is corrupted.
- Corrupt registry or policy entries are interfering with the Windows Update process.
- There were some problems installing updates, and the system will attempt to try again later.
Fixing “Windows Update error 0x80070057” on WindowsHere are some troubleshooting methods you could follow to fix the error:
Fix #1: Rename the SoftwareDistribution folderThe SoftwareDistribution folder (C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution), is the location where Windows store the Windows Updates. To rename the “SoftwareDistribution” folder follow the steps below:
- Press Windows key + R at them same time to open Run box.
- Type %systemroot% in the search box and hit Enter.
- Right-click SoftwareDistribution and rename it SoftwareDistribution.old.
- You might need to provide administrator permission to continue this step. Just click Continue to go on.
- Type services in the search box and click Services.
- Make sure the status of Windows Update here is Started.
- Restart your computer after the change.
Fix #2: Change the Windows RegistryIf this doesn’t work, you can make changes to the Windows Registry. Take these steps:
- Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialogue.
- Type regedit and press Enter.
- Hold Windows key and press R altogether.
- Type notepad and click OK.
- In notepad, copy and paste the following lines:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX] “IsConvergedUpdateStackEnabled”=dword:00000000 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings] “UxOption”=dword:00000000
- Click File and then Save As.
- Set file type to All Files and save this file as wufix.reg on your desktop.
- Run the wufix.reg file, and agree to prompts to fix the error 0x80070057.
Fix #3: Run System File CheckerOnce there are corrupted or broken systems files related to the error 0x80070057, run the System File Checker utility (SFC) to repair or restore those files. Do the following steps:
- Right click on the button.
- Click on Command prompt (Admin) then Press Yes on the prompt.
- Inside the Command Prompt windows copy and paste the following command
- Please wait for this to finish before continuing with rest of the steps.
Download and install the Coopoint Error Fixer, fix 0x80070057 error with 1-click
For Win10 / Win8 / Win7 / WinXP (32/64 bit OS)