About the “Windows Update error 0x800F081F” errorThe following information on this error has been compiled by ByeError Technologies, based on the information gathered and reported by our global network of engineers, developers, and technicians or partner organizations.
Description and SymptomsThe error 0x800F081F usually occurs in recent upgrades or installs where the Microsoft .NET 4.7 is installed by Windows but programs you later install require version 3.5. You will only see the codes on Windows 10, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server version 1709, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2012. On those operating systems, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 is a “Feature on Demand” (i.e. it is not enabled by default).
Windows Update Windows could not search for new updates An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer. Error(s) found: Code 0x800F081F Windows Update encountered an unknown error. Get help with this error Most recent check for updates: 11/13/2018 at 8:15 AM Updates were installed: 04/01/2018 at 7:13 AM. View update history You receive updates: For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update Get updates for other Microsoft products. Find out more
Causes of this ErrorThis error code can occur when an alternative installation source is specified and one of the following conditions is true:
- The location that is specified by the path does not contain the files that are required to install the feature.
- The user who tries to install the feature does not have at least READ access to the location and to the files.
- The set of installation files is corrupted, incomplete, or invalid for the version of Windows that you are running.
Fixing “0x800F081F” on WindowsIt is simple to fix the error 0x800f081f, here are three fixes you can try:
Fix #1: Configure Group PolicyThis problem may appear because the component setting in Group Policy is disabled. You should enable it to see if this fixes the error.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows + key and R key at the same time to invoke the Run box.
- Type “gpedit.msc” and press Enter on your keyboard.
- Go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System.
- Double click Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair, select Enabled. Then click OK.
- Try installing .NET Framework 3.5. If this method works for you, you won’t see the error again. Otherwise, you should try the fix below.
Fix #2: Remove .NET FRAMEWORK 4.7 and then Install .NET FRAMEWORK 3.5
- Open Programs and Features and then click Turn Windows features on or off.
- Uncheck the .NET Framework 4.7 checkbox and click OK to remove the latest installed version of NET FRAMEWORK.
- When the removal process, enable the .NET Framework 3.5 and click OK.
- Follow the instructions to download to install the .NET FRAMEWORK 3.5.
- If the installation is complete this time without problems, then re-enable the NET Framework 4.7.
Fix #3: Install NET FRAMEWORK 3.5 using DISMIf the error still exists, you may need a Windows installation media. If you don’t own a Windows installation media then run the Microsoft’s Media Creation tool and download a copy of your Windows version in a ISO format.
- Attach (or mount the Windows.ISO) the installation media to your computer.
- Open Windows Explorer and note the drive letter of the Windows media.
- Open Command Prompt as Administrator. To do that:
- At the search box type cmd prompt.
- Right-click at Command Prompt result and select Run as administrator.
- In command prompt type the following command and press Enter:
- DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:X:\sources\sxs
"DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:E:\sources\sxs"
Download and install the Coopoint Error Fixer, fix 0x800f081f error with 1-click
For Win10 / Win8 / Win7 / WinXP (32/64 bit OS)