About the “Windows Update error 0x80240034” errorThe following information on this error has been compiled by Coopoint Technologies, based on the information gathered and reported by our global network of engineers, developers, and technicians or partner organizations.
Description and SymptomsWhen you are trying to update Windows 10, you may receive the error 0x80240034, then it has happened because the update services are failing at some point. Another thing worth mentioning is that some users are seeing a different error code when their Windows Update fails but they still see the error code 0x80240034 when checking the Windows Update history.
Causes of this ErrorThere is a brief summary of possible causes
- Internet connection interruption.
- Microsoft Update server error or overutilization.
- Error with the update package.
- Some other error with the update.
Fixing “0x80240034” on WindowsTo start fixing the error 0x80240034, we recommend disabling your anti-virus software temporarily, especially if you are using a third-party one. And then try each of these methods one after the other, and see which helps you fix the issue.
Fix #1: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Press Windows key + I and open Update & Security section.
- Select Troubleshoot and find Windows Update.
- Click Windows Update and select Run troubleshooter.
- The scan normally takes up to 10 minutes. It should report all detected issues and their status – whether troubleshooter managed to fix them or not.
- Once done, check if the Windows Update error 0x80240034 has been fixed.
Fix #2: Reset Windows Update Store
- Open the command prompt with an administrative permission.
- Open the taskbar’s search box and type cmd.
- Select the Command Prompt and right-click and choose Run as administrator.
- Run the following command one by one into the command prompt window:
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits
- Rename the below-given folder using the commands given below:
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- Reboot the Windows and check the error is fixed or not.
Fix #3: Clear Windows Update Cache/Distribution Folder
- Press Windows key once, type command prompt in the Windows Start Search.
- Right-click Command Prompt from the search results and select Run as administrator.
net stop wuauservand press Enter.
rmdir %windir%\SoftwareDistribution /S /Qand press Enter.
net start wuauservand press Enter.
- Try to update the Windows and check the error is fixed or not.
Fix #4: Check your Registry
- Pressing Windows + R to open the Run dialogue box.
- Type the regedit.exe and press Enter to open the register editor Window.
- Navigate to the left pane or Registry editor to the following key:
- Erase the entries WUServerand WIStatusServer in the right pane.
- Restart your computer and and check the error is fixed or not.
Download and install the Coopoint Error Fixer, fix 0x80240034 error with 1-click
For Win10 / Win8 / Win7 / WinXP (32/64 bit OS)