About the “Windows Update error 0x8024A105” errorThe following information on this error has been compiled by Coopoint Technologies, based on the information gathered and reported by our global network of engineers, developers, and technicians or partner organizations.
Description and SymptomsWhen installing updates via the Windows Update channel, you may encounter the error 0x8024a105. The following is the full error message verbatim:
Windows Update Windows could not search for new updates An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer. Error(s) found: Code 0x8024A105 Windows Update encountered an unknown error. Get help with this error Most recent check for updates: 11/12/2018 at 1:20 PM Updates were installed: 03/19/2018 at 8:48 PM. View update history You receive updates: For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update Get updates for other Microsoft products. Find out more
Causes of this ErrorThe 0x8024a105 error is caused mainly due to wrongly configured system files in your Windows. Now, the various reasons behind the issue can be an incomplete installation, an incomplete uninstall, improper deletion of applications or hardware attack by a virus or improper shutdown.
Fixing “Windows Update error 0x8024A105” on WindowsI suggest you to perform the methods provided below one after the other and check if it helps.
Fix #1: Run Windows Update TroubleshooterRun Windows Update troubleshooter and let it automatically fix the problems, which is the basic fix that can be applied to fix Windows Update error code 0x8024a105.
- Click Start Menu, then type Troubleshoot in the search field and Press Enter to open the Troubleshoot Window.
- Click on Windows Update to expand the option, afterwards, click on Run Troubleshooter. The scanning will start, and the problem will be detected.
- Follow the instruction given on the screen to fix the problem. Also, try updating your Windows again and check if the problem is resolved.
Fix #2: Perform a Clean BootAccording to some Windows users, performing a clean boot could get rid of the error 0x8024a105. Take these steps:
- Press Windows key + R altogether to bring up the Run dialog.
- Type msconfig and hit Enter.
- Go to the Startup tab, click Open Task Manager.
- Select each startup item, and then click Disable.
- Close Task Manager.
- Repeat Step 1-3 and then go to the Startup tab, click OK.
- Reboot your PC.
Fix #3: Resetting the Windows Updates components manuallyIf the above methods have proved to be unsuccessful, we have little choice but to manually reset the Windows Updates Components and then restart the Windows Update process.
- Click the Windows Start bar (bottom-left corner) and search for cmd. Then, right-click on Command prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
- In the elevated Command Prompt, we are going to stop the services of MSI Installer, Windows Update, BITS and Cryptographic.
To do this, insert the following commands and press Enter after each one:
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver
- Once all the services have been stopped, let’s rename the SoftwareDistribution folder and the Catroot2 folder in order to force Windows Update to reinitiate its components. Paste or type the two commands into the elevated Command prompt and press Enter after each one:
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- Once the two folders have been renamed, it’s time to restart the services of MSI Installer, BITS, Cryptographic and Windows Update. To do this, type the following command in Command Prompt and hit Enter after each command:
net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
- Once the services have been restarted, close the elevated Command Prompt and reboot your computer.
Download and install the Coopoint Error Fixer, fix 0x8024a105 error with 1-click
For Win10 / Win8 / Win7 / WinXP (32/64 bit OS)