About the “Windows Update error 0x80D02002” errorThe following information on this error has been compiled by Coopoint Technologies, based on the information gathered and reported by our global network of engineers, developers, and technicians or partner organizations.
Description and SymptomsWhen you are trying to install a feature update via Windows Update, the error 0x80d02002 may appear on the screen and installation fails abruptly without specifying a reason. The error 0x80d02002 is one of the common errors encountered by Windows users upgrading to Windows 10 or installing new Windows updates. This error results in program lock-ups, system crashes, and freezes, or slow PC performance. It can also cause possible loss of private data on your device.
Windows Update Updates failed Last checked: 12/20/2018 at 5:38 AM There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 - Error 0x80d02002 Retry
Causes of this ErrorThere are several reasons why this error happens which includes:
- Corrupt Windows Update components
- Internet connection problems
- Blocked system ports
- Conflict on system level
- Third-party software conflicts
Fixing “Windows Update error 0x80D02002” on WindowsTry each of these methods one after the other, and see which helps you fix the issue.
Fix #1: Check the regional and language settingsThe incorrect regional and language settings will result in updates not being able to install, or updates breaking the OS installation completely, etc. Fortunately, checking and fixing this is very easy.
- Press the Start button, and type in Open the result which says Control Panel below (it should be the first result that appears).
- Click Clock, Language and Region and then click Region.
- Under the Format tab, and the Format dropdown menu, choose English (United Kingdom).
- Click Language preferences, followed by Add a language, and add your language.
- When you’ve added it, click on it and click Move Up to mark it as your first language. You can close the Language window now.
- Back to the Region window, click Additional settings. Check if the values are same.
- In the Region window again, click the Location Choose your country as the Home location from the dropdown menu, and click OK.
Fix #2: reset the Windows update componentsYou may try these steps to reset the Windows update components manually and check.
- Press Windows key + X on the desktop screen of the computer.
- Select Command Prompt (Admin).
- On the open Command Prompt window copy and paste the commands (all at once).
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserverpause
- Exit the command prompt, restart Windows and then attempt to install the problematic update.
Fix #3: rename the Software Distribution and Catroot2 folder
- Before renaming, you will need to stop the Windows Update Service and BITS Update service. Open an elevated command prompt windows, type the following commands one after the other, and hit Enter:
net stop wuauserv net stop bits rename c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak net start wuauserv net start bits
- Now, let’s rename the Software Distribution and Catroot2 folder. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it and then restart the computer.
Fix #4: Uninstall Incompatible AppsIf you did not use the Media Creation Tool and, therefore, don’t know the apps that causing the problem, uninstall all old applications and third-party antivirus temporarily. The same applies for other third-party security tools:
- Press Windows key + I and open Apps section.
- Then open Apps & features from the left pane.
- Carefully analyze the list of installed apps and remove the ones you think are not suitable.
- For that, click on the app’s entry and select Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Finally, reboot your PC.
Download and install the Coopoint Error Fixer, fix 0x80d02002 error with 1-click
For Win10 / Win8 / Win7 / WinXP (32/64 bit OS)