About the “Windows Update error 80070103” errorThe following information on this error has been compiled by Coopoint Technologies, based on the information gathered and reported by our global network of engineers, developers, and technicians or partner organizations.
Description and SymptomsThe error 80070103 usually occurs when you are trying to update driver from Windows update and installing a driver that is already installed on your computer or a driver that has a lower compatibility rating than one you already have installed.
Causes of this ErrorThe error 80070103 is usually caused either by:
- Windows Update is attempting to install a device driver that is already present on the computer.
- Windows Update has attempted to install an out-dated or incompatible version of a device driver that is already installed on the computer.
Fixing “80070103” on WindowsDon’t worry, it’s a common error and you can fix it completely by yourself. Try to update the driver through other ways to solve the problem.
Fix #1: Hide the updateIf the device driver is working properly, it isn’t significantly important to install the update. In this case, you can hide the update to prevent Windows Update from trying to install.
- Press Windows + R, type Control Panel and click on OK.
- Once Control Panel loads up, type Windows Update into the Search Control Panel box, then click on Windows Update.
- Open Windows Update, click Check for updates.
- Click the Optional updates are available link, click Optional.
- In the Select the updates you want to install section, right-click the update that you want to hide, and then click Hide update, click OK.
- Click Install Updates to install any additional updates that are selected.
Fix #2: Update the driver manually
- Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
- On the Device Manager window, expand the item, right-click on the sub item and then click Update Driver.
- Restart the computer once the driver is updated.
Fix #3: Remove the update
- Open Installed Updates by clicking the Start button, click Control Panel, click Programs, and then, under Programs and Features, click View installed updates.
- Click the update that you want to remove, and then click Uninstall. If you’re prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Fix #4: Reinstall the driver
- Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
- Expand the driver and right click on the sub item and click uninstall.
- Restart the computer.
- Visit the manufacturer website to download the latest driver.
- Install the driver and restart the computer for the changes to take effect.
Download and install the Coopoint Error Fixer, fix 80070103 error with 1-click
For Win10 / Win8 / Win7 / WinXP (32/64 bit OS)