About the “Windows Update error 80072EE2” errorThe following information on this error has been compiled by ByeError, based on the information gathered and reported by our global network of engineers, developers, and technicians or partner organizations.
Description and SymptomsWhile attempting updates, you may receive the Windows Update error 80072ee2 that is displayed on your screen.
Symptom 1: “Windows Update error 80072EE2” error screen
Windows Update Windows could not search for new updates An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer. Error(s) found: Code 80072EE2 Windows Update encountered an unknown error. Get help with this error Most recent check for updates: 10/22/2018 at 7:48 PM Updates were installed: 08/31/2018 at 8:21 PM. View update history You receive updates: For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update Get updates for other Microsoft products. Find out more
Causes of this ErrorError 80072ee2 is caused when the files on your system are corrupt or the updates are stuck.
Fixing “Windows Update error 80072EE2” on WindowsDon’t worry. You can use the top four fixes here to fix the issue. The steps apply to Windows 10, 7, 8, 8.1. The fix described in these methods also applie to error 8024400a and 8024400d.
Fix #1: Check your Date and Time Settings.Make sure that your date and time settings are correct.
Fix #2: Deleting Software Distribution
- Start Windows and click Start.
- Type services.msc in the search box (for Windows 10 and 7 systems) or open Run > type services.msc (for Windows XP systems). Press Enter.
- Find the Windows Update, right-click it and select stop (leave the Services windows open).
- Browse to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution in My Computer/Windows Explorer and delete its contents.
- Return to the services window, find the Windows Update service, right-click it and select Start.
Fix #3: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Open Control Panel.
- View by Small icons, select Troubleshooting.
- Under System and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Update.
- Click Next, then the troubleshooter will start detecting problems.
Fix #4: Completely resetting Windows Update modules
- Press Windows + S, type command prompt, right-click on the application and select Run as administrator.
- Once in elevated command prompt, executing the following commands one by one.
net stop wuauserv cd %systemroot% ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old net start wuauserv net stop bits net start bits net stop cryptsvc cd %systemroot%\system32 ren catroot2 catroot2.old net start cryptsvc regsvr32 Softpub.dll /s regsvr32 Wintrust.dll /s regsvr32 Initpki.dll /s regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s
- After executing all the commands, restart your computer.
Download and install the Coopoint Error Fixer, fix 80072ee2 error with 1-click
For Win10 / Win8 / Win7 / WinXP (32/64 bit OS)