About the “Windows Update error 800B0100” errorThe following information on this error has been compiled by Coopoint Technologies, based on the information gathered and reported by our global network of engineers, developers, and technicians or partner organizations.
Description and SymptomsWhen you are trying to install Windows updates, you may receive the error 800b0100. This error is a strong indication of possible data corruption or the deletion of important system files, it appears solely when individuals attempt to update their operating system using the Windows update feature.
Causes of this ErrorThere are several reasons why this error happens which are some of the common culprits:
- A conflict between Windows update and security software.
- A corrupted or missing Windows Update component file.
- Important .dll files requiring reregistering.
- Incorrect of corrupt registry keys.
Fixing “800b0100” on WindowsTry each of these methods one after the other, and see which helps you fix the issue.
Fix #1: Disable antivirus and firewall temporarily and try installing
- Boot into your computer through the Administrator profile. Press Windows Key +R.
- In the Run dialog box, type “Control Panel” (no quotes), then click OK.
- Once the Control Panel is up, select System and Security.
- Click Windows Firewall.
- Select Turn Windows Firewall On or Off.
- You will be taken to the Customize Settings page. Click the option for turning Windows Firewall off for both private and public networks.
- Click OK and go back to what you were doing before the error occurred.
Fix #2: Reset the Windows update components
- Press Windows key + X on the desktop screen of the computer.
- Select Command Prompt (Admin).
- On the open Command Prompt window copy and paste the commands (all at once).
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver pause
- Exit the command prompt, restart Windows and then attempt to install the problematic update.
Fix #3: Re-registering Wintrust.dll File
- Boot into your computer through the Administrator profile.
- On your keyboard, press Windows Key +R.
- In the Run dialog box, type
cmdthen click OK.
- Once the Command Prompt shows up, type
regsvr32 wintrust.dll, then hit Enter.
- After that, type
net stop cryptsvc, then hit Enter.
ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2, then hit Enter.
net start cryptsvc, then press Enter.
- Once you’ve completed the steps above, go back to what you were doing before the error occurred.
Fix #4: Run Windows Update TroubleshooterAfter Check Above Basic solutions, Windows Update still fails to install, then run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and let windows to Scan and fix the problem itself. You Can run Windows Update Troubleshooter from Windows Settings -> Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
Download and install the Coopoint Error Fixer, fix 800b0100 error with 1-click
For Win10 / Win8 / Win7 / WinXP (32/64 bit OS)