About the “Windows Update error 80244010” errorThe following information on this error has been compiled by Coopoint Technologies, based on the information gathered and reported by our global network of engineers, developers, and technicians or partner organizations.
Description and SymptomsWhile trying to run Windows updates, you may get the error 80244010 that means WU_E_PT_EXCEEDED_MAX_SERVER_TRIPS and happens when a client has exceeded the number of trips allowed to a WSUS server. This error usually suggests that the client cannot retrieve everything on its current update cycle, and that you need to let the client go through a few cycles to retrieve everything from the server.
Causes of this ErrorThere are several reasons why this error happens which are some of the common culprits:
- some missing or damaged files
- an incomplete installation/uninstallation of software
- the Windows component store is corrupt
Fixing “80244010” on WindowsHere are solutions that have helped other users resolve the error 80244010. You may not need to try them all, just work your way down the list until you find the one that works.
Fix #1: Set Automatic Update detection frequency
- In the Group Policy Object Editor, expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand Windows Components, and then click Windows Update.
- In the details pane, click Automatic Update detection frequency, click Enabled, and type the number of hours for the detection interval.
- Click OK.
Fix #2: Renaming SoftwareDistribution folder
- Press Windows key + X, then select Command Prompt (Admin), click Start then type cmd in the Start Search box and press CTRL, SHIFT and ENTER simultaneously.
net stop WuAuServand press Enter. Wait until it says successfully stopped but do not close the command prompt window.
- Press Windows key + R. Type
%windir%then press Enter in Windows 10, 8. For Windows 7, click Start then type
%windir%in the Start Search box and press Enter
- Locate SoftwareDistribution Right click the folder and select Rename then type
net start WuAuServand press Enter in the command prompt window. Wait until it says successfully started.
Fix #3: Reset Windows Update Components
- Open Command Prompt as administrator and type the following commands (press Enter after each):
net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop appidsvc net stop cryptsvc ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak net start bits net start wuauserv net start appidsvc net start cryptsvc
- Restart the computer.
Download and install the Coopoint Error Fixer, fix 80244010 error with 1-click
For Win10 / Win8 / Win7 / WinXP (32/64 bit OS)