About the “Windows Update error 8024402F” errorThe following information on this error has been compiled by Coopoint Technologies, based on the information gathered and reported by our global network of engineers, developers, and technicians or partner organizations.
Description and SymptomsWhile you are trying to install Windows updates, the 8024402f error message is usually displayed on your computer that means there is a connection interruption between your computer and the Windows update servers. This error prevents you from updating your Windows and can happen on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. But don’t worry, the error 8024402f is quite common among the Windows users and it can be fixed easily.
Causes of this ErrorThere are several reasons why this error happens which are some of the common culprits:
- Third-party software conflicts
- Internet connection problems
- Corrupt Windows Update components
- Conflict on system level
Fixing “8024402F” on WindowsTry each of these methods one after the other, and see which helps you fix the issue.
Fix #1: Disabling the Security Software or Windows Firewall
- Boot into your computer through the Administrator profile.
- Press Windows Key + R.
- In the Run dialog box, type Control Panel, then click OK.
- Once the Control Panel is up, select System and Security.
- Click Windows Firewall.
- Select Turn Windows Firewall On or Off.
- You will be taken to the Customize Settings page. Click the option for turning Windows.
- Firewall off for both private and public networks.
- Click OK and go back to what you were doing before the error occurred.
Fix #2: Update Windows Date/Time
- Click on the date and time on the taskbar and then select Date and time settings.
- For Windows 10, make Set Time Automatically to on.
- For others, click on Internet Time and tick mark on Automatically synchronize with Internet time server.
- Select Server time.windows.com and click update and OK.
- Restart your computer and check the error is fixed or not, if not then continue with the next method.
Fix #3: Verify the relevant Windows Update services
- Click Start menu, type services.msc in start search box, and then press Enter.
- Click on the General tab and ensure the Startup Type is Automatic or Manual.
- Under Service Status, click Start button to start the service.
- With the Background Intelligent Transfer Service service, repeat the above steps.
- Temporarily stop these services.
Fix #4: Rename the Windows Update Software distribution folder
- Close all the open windows.
- Click Start menu, click All programs, click Accessories.
- Click Command Prompt and then click Run as administrator.
- Type in
net stop WuAuServin Command Prompt window, and then press Enter.
- Click Start menu, type in
%windir%in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
- Found the folder named Software Distribution in the opened folder, click on the folder, select Rename and type Software Distribution.old to rename this folder.
- If still in the Command Prompt window, type the
net start WuAuServcommand in the window to reboot the Windows Updates service. If issue persist, proceed to next method.
Fix #5: Use the Windows update troubleshooter or the network troubleshooter
- Press Windows key + C to bring up the search Charms bar.
- ype Troubleshooter and click on Troubleshooting; click on the Settings tab below the search box.
- Click on the Find and Fix problems tile and then click on the view all button the left pane.
- Click on the Windows update troubleshooter and run it.
- Close Windows Update, wait 10 to 15 minutes, and then run Windows Update again.
Download and install the Coopoint Error Fixer, fix 8024402f error with 1-click
For Win10 / Win8 / Win7 / WinXP (32/64 bit OS)